If you have invested in hair extensions, you know how important it is to take proper care of them. Proper care will not only make them last longer but also keep them looking as good as new. In this article, we will go over everything you need to know about taking care of your hair extensions.
Hair extensions are a great way to add length, volume, and thickness to your hair. They are available in various styles, textures, and colors, making it easy to find the perfect match for your natural hair. Hair extensions can be made from human hair or synthetic hair. Human hair extensions are more expensive but offer a more natural look and feel.
Taking care of hair extensions requires a bit more effort than taking care of natural hair. This is because hair extensions do not receive the natural oils produced by the scalp, which can cause them to dry out and become damaged over time. However, with proper care, you can ensure that your hair extensions stay healthy and looking great.
Here are some tips on how to take care of your hair extensions:
1. Wash Your Hair Extensions Properly
Washing your hair extensions is an essential part of taking care of them. However, it is important to do it properly to avoid damaging the extensions. Here are the steps to follow:
- Brush your hair extensions gently to remove any tangles.
- Fill a basin with lukewarm water and add a sulfate-free shampoo.
- Immerse your hair extensions in the water and swirl them around gently for a few minutes.
- Rinse the hair extensions thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Apply a conditioner to the hair extensions and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Rinse the hair extensions thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Gently squeeze out the excess water from the hair extensions using a microfiber towel.
- Hang the hair extensions to air dry.
2. Brush Your Hair Extensions Regularly
Brushing your hair extensions regularly helps to keep them tangle-free and looking great. However, it is important to use a brush that is gentle on the hair extensions to avoid causing damage. Here are some tips:
- Use a soft-bristled brush or a wide-tooth comb.
- Start brushing from the ends of the hair extensions and work your way up to the roots.
- Do not pull or tug on the hair extensions while brushing.
- Brush your hair extensions at least once a day.
3. Avoid Heat Styling Tools
Heat styling tools such as straighteners, curling irons, and hairdryers can cause damage to your hair extensions. If you need to use these tools, make sure to use a heat protectant spray and set the temperature to the lowest setting possible. It is also a good idea to limit the use of heat styling tools to special occasions.
4. Use Hair Extension-Friendly Products
Using the right hair products can help to keep your hair extensions looking great. Here are some tips:
- Use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners.
- Avoid using products that contain alcohol, as they can dry out your hair extensions.
- Use a leave-in conditioner to keep your hair extensions moisturized.
- Use a hair serum to add shine and reduce frizz.
- Use a silk pillowcase and satin bonnet when you sleep at night to prevent matting.
- Dry your hair with a microfiber towel to prevent damage.
5. Store Your Hair Extensions Properly
Storing your hair extensions properly can help to prevent them from becoming tangled or damaged. Here are some tips:
- Always store your hair extensions in a clean, dry place.
- Use a hair extension hanger or a mannequin head to store your hair extensions.
- Brush your hair extensions before storing them.
- Cover your hair extensions with a silk or satin scarf to prevent tangling.
Please note these storage tips do not apply to semi-permanent hair extensions but to other types of extensions like clip-in hair extensions and halo hair extensions.
How to Take Care of Your Hair Extensions
Now that you know the basics of how to take care of your hair extensions, let's dive into some additional tips and tricks that will help you keep your extensions looking great for longer.
- Avoid swimming with your hair extensions, as chlorine and saltwater can cause damage to them.
- If you do need to swim, wear a swim cap or keep your hair above water.
- Avoid sleeping with wet hair extensions, as this can cause them to tangle and become damaged.
- Use a hair mask once a week to keep your hair extensions moisturized.
- If you have curly hair extensions, avoid brushing them as this can cause them to lose their curl pattern. Instead, use your fingers to gently detangle them.
- If you have blonde hair extensions, avoid using purple shampoo as this can cause them to turn purple. Instead, use a color-safe shampoo and conditioner.
- If you have tape-in hair extensions, avoid using oily hair products near the roots as this can cause the tape to come loose.
- If you have clip-in hair extensions, avoid pulling on them while removing them, as this can cause them to become damaged.
By following these tips and tricks, you can ensure that your hair extensions stay looking great for longer.
How often should I wash my hair extensions? You should wash your hair extensions every 15-20 wears or with your natural hair if they are semi-permanent. Avoid washing them too frequently, as this can cause them to become damaged.
Can I color my hair extensions? Human hair extensions can be colored just like natural hair. However, it is best to consult a professional stylist before coloring your hair extensions to avoid damaging them.
Can I use regular shampoo and conditioner on my hair extensions? It is best to use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner on your hair extensions to avoid damaging them.
How do I remove tangles from my hair extensions? Use a soft-bristled brush or a wide-tooth comb to gently remove tangles from your hair extensions. Start from the ends and work your way up to the roots.
Can I use heat styling tools on my hair extensions? You can use heat styling tools on your hair extensions, but it is best to use a heat protectant spray and set the temperature to the lowest setting possible.
How do I store my clip-in hair extensions? Store your hair extensions in a clean, dry place using a hair extension hanger or a mannequin head. Cover them with a silk or satin scarf to prevent tangling.
Taking care of your hair extensions is essential to keep them looking great and ensure they last as long as possible. By following these tips and tricks, you can maintain healthy, beautiful hair extensions that will make you feel confident and stylish.
Remember to wash your hair extensions properly, brush them regularly, avoid heat styling tools, use hair extension-friendly products, store them properly, and follow the additional tips and tricks mentioned above. By doing so, you'll be well on your way to having gorgeous, healthy hair extensions that you can enjoy for months to come.
Thank you for reading, and happy hair extension care!